Two Wheelers and Fuel Efficient Tips
As fuel prices constantly trend higher, there is a growing financial need to maximize fuel efficiency. Because motorcycles are smaller and lighter than their 4-wheel counterparts, most people assume that they enjoy great fuel efficiency, regardless of operator effort. But to be frank is a myth. In reality, many motorcycles achieve poor fuel efficiency due to their high revving engines and aggressive operator habits. Disciplined driving and maintenance habits are needed to maximize motorcycle fuel efficiency.
How to Maximize Fuel Efficiency on our Motorcycle
- Plan trips to avoid high congestion times and places. Avoid rush hour traffic whenever possible.
- Travel at constant speeds at or below the posted speed limit.
- Keep the face shield of our helmet down and fastened when moving to minimize wind friction. Also secure loose-fitting clothing to avoid wind drag.
- Regularly inspect the air filter element. Replace at regular intervals.As with other vehicles, properly inflated tires are a must. Check tire pressures on a regular basis.Clean spark plug regularly. Every 750 km for two stroke bike and every 1,500 km for four-stroke bike. Clean spark points with emery paper and innards with some aluminium wire. After this wash with petrol.
- Avoid jackrabbit starts. Resist the temptation to accelerate quickly.Avoid revving the throttle while stopped. That loud revving that so many motorcyclists enjoy burns fuel for no reason.
- Try to minimize the number of times that you must shift gears.
- Remove unnecessary weight from the motorcycle. Use accessories, such as saddle bags, only when necessary.
- Always use correct recommended grade of engine oil as recommended in Owners Manual . Ensure that the oil is in sufficient quantity as recommended. Check with dipsitck or inspection window or bleed-plug nut.
- Check cables regularly for kinks, bends and frayed ends. Especially check ends. If one or more strands appears broken, replace immediately. Don't try to save money by ignoring it till later time. Also lubricate annular space between cable inner and outer, by holding one end and letting cable hang vertically and letting lubricating oil drip into annular space .
- Keep carburettor clean. Every 1500 km, clean out the carburettor float chamber and other parts. Clean jets by forcing compressed air thru them.Ensure that float is not punctured and float-pin is not jamming. There should be free play of the float around its hinge in the chamber.
- Check tyres for wear and tear and cracks. Replace if worn. Also replace if there are cracks. This is most important in rainy season. It can save our life.
- Check entire fuel line, right from where it comes out of the tank, the fitting of the fuel cock, fuel filter, the plastic or rubber pipes etc. touch each spot with your clean, dry fingers. If there is any leak, it will show on our fingers. Also smell our fingers. If we get petrol smell, then there is a leak.
Tips for an Economic and a Cost-Effective Journey
- Always opt for public transport means like bus and train as far as possible.Use car, only if it’s a family trip.Avoid two-wheelers to travel walkable distances.
- Fuel efficiency is maximum at 55km per hour. If the speed is further increased, that in turn affects the fuel efficiency.
- Avoid competition while on road. Sudden acceleration and deceleration- both reduces the fuel efficiency of your vehicle by 37%.
- Don’t ride so close to the preceding vehicle. If at all that foregoing vehicle stops unexpectedly, we will be in a situation to apply a sudden brake which results in fuel loss; if not a fatal accident !
- Avoid riding at the lowest possible speed. This reduces the fuel efficiency as well as damages the engine and all.
- When we park our vehicle, park in the first available spot. Avoid driving through the parking area in search of convenient parking space. Always try to park the vehicle in some shaded area.
- Avoid keeping unnecessary stuffs in the storage area of the vehicle. Plan journeys in such a way that many things can be accomplished in a single journey if possible, rather than having separate journeys.
- Manipulate the distance to the destination and understand the route beforehand. This helps to avoid chances of going astray which in turn avoids time loss and fuel loss. Mapping facilities in mobile phones can be utilized.
- There is no point in having excess fuel in the fuel tank for a considerable amount of fuel will be lost through evaporation. Make sure that we have enough fuel- not up any more, not up any less.
Tags :- Save Fuel Tips , Maximize Fuel Efficiency , Two Wheeler Fuel Saving Tips , Two wheeler Maintenance Tips , Two wheeler Spare Parts , Tips for Economic drive , Tips for Cost-Effective drive